“Chuck” as he was known to his many colleagues and friends counseled and advised numerous students during his years of service in the guidance profession before his untimely passing from cancer in July 1999. Chuck received his B.S. in Secondary Education and an M.A. degree in Guidance and Counseling from Miami University and worked in the Office of Financial aid. He also served in the US Air Force as a Russian Linguist. Chuck’s passion was working with high school students and advising them on their future opportunities. He believed that any student could achieve their dream if they worked hard and put forth the effort. This belief and passion was shared with students as a Wrestling Coach and Guidance Counselor at Middletown High School and as a Guidance Counselor at Colerain High School in Cincinnati. He was very active in OACAC and beloved by his colleagues and we honor him with this scholarship.
The Charles L. Warren Memorial Heritage Scholarship is awarded by the Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling each year to outstanding high school seniors. The scholarship is a one-time $1,500 award. For more information including personal statement prompts, please click here.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY: This scholarship is awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate and show a continued commitment to cultural and intellectual diversity
- Attend an OACAC member high school. Just one HS counselor needs to be a member to qualify, please check with your counselor to verify that your high school is an OACAC member.
- Have an accumulated grade point average of 3.00 or better on a 4.00 scale in a college preparatory curriculum
- Required to attend an Ohio college or university
- Submit the Charles L. Warren Memorial Heritage Scholarship application, an official high school transcript, a counselor recommendation and a personal statement by the published deadline
All of these criteria are required, along with other factors as determined by the Inclusion, Access, and Success Committee of OACAC. Students from underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS January 21, 2019.
Please return completed application forms to:
OACAC Inclusion, Access and Success Committee Chair
The University of Akron – Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Simmons Hall Akron, OH 44325